Synonyms of slack
- 1. slack, debris, dust, junk, rubble, detritus
- usage: dust consisting of a mixture of small coal fragments and coal dust and dirt that sifts out when coal is passed over a sieve
- 2. slump, slack, drop-off, falloff, falling off, deterioration, decline in quality, declension, worsening
- usage: a noticeable deterioration in performance or quality; "the team went into a slump"; "a gradual slack in output"; "a drop-off in attendance"; "a falloff in quality"
- 3. slack, slack water, stretch
- usage: a stretch of water without current or movement; "suddenly they were in a slack and the water was motionless"
- 4. mire, quagmire, quag, morass, slack, bog, peat bog
- usage: a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot
- 5. slack, slackness, looseness, play
- usage: the quality of being loose (not taut); "he hadn't counted on the slackness of the rope"
- 6. slack, cord
- usage: a cord or rope or cable that is hanging loosely; "he took up the slack"
- 1. slack, fiddle, shirk, shrink from, goldbrick
- usage: avoid responsibilities and work, be idle
- 2. slack, neglect
- usage: be inattentive to, or neglect; "He slacks his attention"
- 3. slack, loosen, loose
- usage: release tension on; "slack the rope"
- 4. slack, slacken, slack up, relax, decrease, lessen, minify
- usage: make less active or fast; "He slackened his pace as he got tired"; "Don't relax your efforts now"
- 5. slow, slow down, slow up, slack, slacken, weaken
- usage: become slow or slower; "Production slowed"
- 6. slake, abate, slack, decrease, lessen, minify
- usage: make less active or intense
- 7. abate, let up, slack off, slack, die away, decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- usage: become less in amount or intensity; "The storm abated"; "The rain let up after a few hours"
- 8. slack, slake, hydrate
- usage: cause to heat and crumble by treatment with water; "slack lime"
- 1. loose, slack, lax (vs. tense)
- usage: not tense or taut; "the old man's skin hung loose and grey"; "slack and wrinkled skin"; "slack sails"; "a slack rope"
- 2. slack, standing(prenominal) (vs. running)
- usage: flowing with little speed as e.g. at the turning of the tide; "slack water"
- 3. lax, slack, negligent (vs. diligent)
- usage: lacking in rigor or strictness; "such lax and slipshod ways are no longer acceptable"; "lax in attending classes"; "slack in maintaining discipline"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of slack (Dictionary)