- 1. smear, vilification, malignment, defamation, calumny, calumniation, obloquy, traducement, hatchet job
- usage: slanderous defamation
- 2. smear, cytologic smear, cytosmear, cytologic specimen
- usage: a thin tissue or blood sample spread on a glass slide and stained for cytologic examination and diagnosis under a microscope
- 3. smudge, spot, blot, daub, smear, smirch, slur, blemish, defect, mar
- usage: a blemish made by dirt; "he had a smudge on his cheek"
- 4. blot, smear, smirch, spot, stain, mistake, error, fault
- usage: an act that brings discredit to the person who does it; "he made a huge blot on his copybook"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. smear, dirty, soil, begrime, grime, colly, bemire
- usage: stain by smearing or daubing with a dirty substance
- 2. smear, blur, smudge, smutch, rub
- usage: make a smudge on; soil by smudging
- 3. daub, smear, cover
- usage: cover (a surface) by smearing (a substance) over it; "smear the wall with paint"; "daub the ceiling with plaster"
- 4. defame, slander, smirch, asperse, denigrate, calumniate, smear, sully, besmirch, charge, accuse
- usage: charge falsely or with malicious intent; attack the good name and reputation of someone; "The journalists have defamed me!" "The article in the paper sullied my reputation"
All rights reserved.
See also: smear (Dictionary)