Synonyms of smother
- 1. clutter, jumble, muddle, fuddle, mare's nest, welter, smother, disorderliness, disorder
- usage: a confused multitude of things
- 2. smother, smoke, fume
- usage: a stifling cloud of smoke
- 1. smother, surround, cover
- usage: envelop completely; "smother the meat in gravy"
- 2. smother, asphyxiate, suffocate, kill
- usage: deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing; "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"
- 3. smother, stifle, strangle, muffle, repress, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
- 4. smother, cover, spread over
- usage: form an impenetrable cover over; "the butter cream smothered the cake"
- 5. smother, put out, snuff out, extinguish
- usage: deprive of the oxygen necessary for combustion; "smother fires"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of smother (Dictionary)