Synonyms of smothered
- 1. smother, surround, cover
- usage: envelop completely; "smother the meat in gravy"
- 2. smother, asphyxiate, suffocate, kill
- usage: deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing; "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"
- 3. smother, stifle, strangle, muffle, repress, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
- 4. smother, cover, spread over
- usage: form an impenetrable cover over; "the butter cream smothered the cake"
- 5. smother, put out, snuff out, extinguish
- usage: deprive of the oxygen necessary for combustion; "smother fires"
- 1. smothered, stifled, strangled, suppressed, inhibited (vs. uninhibited)
- usage: held in check with difficulty; "a smothered cough"; "a stifled yawn"; "a strangled scream"; "suppressed laughter"
- 2. smothered, covered (vs. bare)
- usage: completely covered; "bonnets smothered with flowers"; "smothered chicken is chicken cooked in a seasoned gravy"
All rights reserved.