Synonyms of solitary
- 1. solitary confinement, solitary, confinement
- usage: confinement of a prisoner in isolation from other prisoners; "he was held in solitary"
- 2. hermit, recluse, solitary, solitudinarian, troglodyte, loner, lone wolf, lone hand
- usage: one who lives in solitude
- 1. lone(prenominal), lonely(prenominal), solitary, unsocial (vs. social)
- usage: characterized by or preferring solitude; "a lone wolf"; "a lonely existence"; "a man of a solitary disposition"; "a solitary walk"
- 2. nongregarious, nonsocial, solitary, ungregarious (vs. gregarious)
- usage: of plants and animals; not growing or living in groups or colonies; "solitary bees"
- 3. alone(predicate), lone(prenominal), lonely(prenominal), solitary, unaccompanied (vs. accompanied)
- usage: lacking companions or companionship; "he was alone when we met him"; "she is alone much of the time"; "the lone skier on the mountain"; "a lonely fisherman stood on a tuft of gravel"; "a lonely soul"; "a solitary traveler"
- 4. lone(prenominal), lonesome(prenominal), only(prenominal), sole(prenominal), solitary(prenominal), single (vs. multiple)
- usage: being the only one; single and isolated from others; "the lone doctor in the entire county"; "a lonesome pine"; "an only child"; "the sole heir"; "the sole example"; "a solitary instance of cowardice"; "a solitary speck in the sky"
- 5. lonely, solitary, unfrequented, uninhabited (vs. inhabited)
- usage: devoid of creatures; "a lonely crossroads"; "a solitary retreat"; "a trail leading to an unfrequented lake"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of solitary (Dictionary)