Synonyms of sordid
- 1. seamy, seedy, sleazy, sordid, squalid, disreputable (vs. reputable)
- usage: morally degraded; "a seedy district"; "the seamy side of life"; "sleazy characters hanging around casinos"; "sleazy storefronts with...dirt on the walls"- Seattle Weekly; "the sordid details of his orgies stank under his very nostrils"- James Joyce; "the squalid atmosphere of intrigue and betrayal"
- 2. dirty, sordid, corrupt (vs. incorrupt)
- usage: unethical or dishonest; "dirty police officers"; "a sordid political campaign"
- 3. flyblown, squalid, sordid, dirty (vs. clean), soiled, unclean
- usage: foul and run-down and repulsive; "a flyblown bar on the edge of town"; "a squalid overcrowded apartment in the poorest part of town"; "squalid living conditions"; "sordid shantytowns"
- 4. sordid, acquisitive (vs. unacquisitive)
- usage: meanly avaricious and mercenary; "sordid avarice"; "sordid material interests"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of sordid (Dictionary)