Synonyms of sort
- 1. kind, sort, form, variety, category
- usage: a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality; "sculpture is a form of art"; "what kinds of desserts are there?"
- 2. sort, similarity
- usage: an approximate definition or example; "she wore a sort of magenta dress"; "she served a creamy sort of dessert thing"
- 3. sort, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: a person of a particular character or nature; "what sort of person is he?"; "he's a good sort"
- 4. sort, sorting, operation
- usage: an operation that segregates items into groups according to a specified criterion; "the bottleneck in mail delivery is the process of sorting"
- 1. screen, screen out, sieve, sort, choose, take, select, pick out
- usage: examine in order to test suitability; "screen these samples"; "screen the job applicants"
- 2. classify, class, sort, assort, sort out, separate, categorize, categorise
- usage: arrange or order by classes or categories; "How would you classify these pottery shards--are they prehistoric?"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of sort (Dictionary)