Synonyms of sounding
- 1. sounding, depth, deepness
- usage: a measure of the depth of water taken with a sounding line
- 2. sounding, measurement, measuring, measure, mensuration
- usage: the act of measuring depth of water (usually with a sounding line)
- 1. sound, look, appear, seem
- usage: appear in a certain way; "This sounds interesting"
- 2. sound, go, cause to be perceived
- usage: make a certain noise or sound; "She went `Mmmmm'"; "The gun went `bang'"
- 3. sound
- usage: give off a certain sound or sounds; "This record sounds scratchy"
- 4. sound, announce, denote
- usage: announce by means of a sound; "sound the alarm"
- 5. voice, sound, vocalize, vocalise, pronounce, articulate, enounce, sound out, enunciate, say
- usage: utter with vibrating vocal chords
- 6. sound
- usage: cause to sound; "sound the bell"; "sound a certain note"
- 7. fathom, sound, quantify, measure
- usage: measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- 1. looking, sounding, superficial (vs. profound)
- usage: appearing to be as specified; usually used as combining forms; "left their clothes dirty looking"; "a most disagreeable looking character"; "angry-looking"; "liquid-looking"; "severe-looking policemen on noble horses"; "fine-sounding phrases"; "taken in by high-sounding talk"
- 2. sounding, full (vs. thin)
- usage: having volume or deepness; "sounding brass and a tinkling cymbal"; "the sounding cataract haunted me like a passion"- Wordsworth
- 3. sounding, audible (vs. inaudible), hearable
- usage: making or having a sound as specified; used as a combining form; "harsh-sounding"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of sounding (Dictionary)