Synonyms of spare
- 1. spare part, spare, component, constituent, element
- usage: an extra component of a machine or other apparatus
- 2. fifth wheel, spare, car wheel
- usage: an extra car wheel and tire for a four-wheel vehicle
- 3. spare, score
- usage: a score in tenpins; knocking down all ten after rolling two balls
- 1. spare, save, refrain, forbear
- usage: refrain from harming
- 2. spare, exempt, relieve, free
- usage: save or relieve from an experience or action; "I'll spare you from having to apologize formally"
- 3. spare, give up, part with, dispense with, give
- usage: give up what is not strictly needed; "he asked if they could spare one of their horses to speed his journey"
- 4. spare, use, expend
- usage: use frugally or carefully
- 1. spare, trim, thin (vs. fat), lean
- usage: thin and fit; "the spare figure of a marathon runner"; "a body kept trim by exercise"
- 2. excess, extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory, superfluous, supernumerary, surplus, unnecessary (vs. necessary), unneeded
- usage: more than is needed, desired, or required; "trying to lose excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room"; "supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary) words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the needy"
- 3. spare, free, unoccupied (vs. occupied)
- usage: not taken up by scheduled activities; "a free hour between classes"; "spare time on my hands"
- 4. spare, unnecessary (vs. necessary), unneeded
- usage: kept in reserve especially for emergency use; "a reserve supply of food"; "a spare tire"; "spare parts"
- 5. bare(prenominal), scanty, spare, meager (vs. ample), meagre, meagerly, stingy, scrimpy
- usage: lacking in amplitude or quantity; "a bare livelihood"; "a scanty harvest"; "a spare diet"
- 6. plain, bare, spare, unembellished, unornamented, unadorned (vs. adorned), undecorated
- usage: lacking embellishment or ornamentation; "a plain hair style"; "unembellished white walls"; "functional architecture featuring stark unornamented concrete"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of spare (Dictionary)