- 1. spare, save, refrain, forbear
- usage: refrain from harming
- 2. spare, exempt, relieve, free
- usage: save or relieve from an experience or action; "I'll spare you from having to apologize formally"
- 3. spare, give up, part with, dispense with, give
- usage: give up what is not strictly needed; "he asked if they could spare one of their horses to speed his journey"
- 4. spare, use, expend
- usage: use frugally or carefully
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. economical, frugal, scotch, sparing, stinting, thrifty (vs. wasteful)
- usage: avoiding waste; "an economical meal"; "an economical shopper"; "a frugal farmer"; "a frugal lunch"; "a sparing father and a spending son"; "sparing in their use of heat and light"; "stinting in bestowing gifts"; "thrifty because they remember the great Depression"; "`scotch' is used only informally"
All rights reserved.
See also: sparing (Dictionary)