- 1. speaking, speech production, utterance, vocalization
- usage: the utterance of intelligible speech
- 2. public speaking, speechmaking, speaking, oral presentation, address, speech
- usage: delivering an address to a public audience; "people came to see the candidates and hear the speechmaking"
- 1. talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise, communicate, intercommunicate
- usage: express in speech; "She talks a lot of nonsense"; "This depressed patient does not verbalize"
- 2. talk, speak, communicate, intercommunicate
- usage: exchange thoughts; talk with; "We often talk business"; "Actions talk louder than words"
- 3. speak, talk, communicate, intercommunicate
- usage: use language; "the baby talks already"; "the prisoner won't speak"; "they speak a strange dialect"
- 4. address, speak
- usage: give a speech to; "The chairman addressed the board of trustees"
- 5. speak, sound
- usage: make a characteristic or natural sound; "The drums spoke"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. speaking(prenominal) (vs. nonspeaking), tongued
- usage: capable of or involving speech or speaking; "human beings--the speaking animals"; "a speaking part in the play"
All rights reserved.
See also: speaking (Dictionary)