Synonyms of specific
- 1. particular, specific, fact
- usage: a fact about some part (as opposed to general); "he always reasons from the particular to the general"
- 2. specific, medicine, medication, medicament, medicinal drug
- usage: a medicine that has a mitigating effect on a specific disease; "quinine is a specific for malaria"
- 1. specific (vs. general) (vs. nonspecific), ad hoc, circumstantial, limited, special, particular(prenominal), peculiar(prenominal), special(prenominal), particular(prenominal), particularized, particularised, proper(postnominal), unique(predicate), precise, specialized#1, specialised
- usage: (sometimes followed by `to') applying to or characterized by or distinguishing something particular or special or unique; "rules with specific application"; "demands specific to the job"; "a specific and detailed account of the accident"
- 2. specific, specified (vs. unspecified)
- usage: stated explicitly or in detail; "needed a specific amount"
- 3. specific
- usage: relating to or distinguishing or constituting a taxonomic species; "specific characters"
- 4. specific (vs. nonspecific)
- usage: being or affecting a disease produced by a particular microorganism or condition; used also of stains or dyes used in making microscope slides; "quinine is highly specific for malaria"; "a specific remedy"; "a specific stain is one having a specific affinity for particular structural elements"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of specific (Dictionary)