Synonyms of spell
- 1. enchantment, spell, trance, psychological state, psychological condition, mental state, mental condition
- usage: a psychological state induced by (or as if induced by) a magical incantation
- 2. go, spell, tour, turn, shift, work shift, duty period
- usage: a time for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else); "it's my go"; "a spell of work"
- 3. while, piece, spell, patch, time
- usage: a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition; "he was here for a little while"; "I need to rest for a piece"; "a spell of good weather"; "a patch of bad weather"
- 4. spell, magic spell, magical spell, charm, speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication
- usage: a verbal formula believed to have magical force; "he whispered a spell as he moved his hands"; "inscribed around its base is a charm in Balinese"
- 1. spell, spell out, recite
- usage: orally recite the letters of or give the spelling of; "How do you spell this word?" "We had to spell out our names for the police officer"
- 2. spell, import, mean, intend
- usage: indicate or signify; "I'm afraid this spells trouble!"
- 3. spell, write
- usage: write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word); "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
- 4. spell, take over, relieve
- usage: relieve (someone) from work by taking a turn; "She spelled her husband at the wheel"
- 5. spell, hex, bewitch, glamour, witch, enchant, jinx
- usage: place under a spell
- 6. spell, alternate, take turns
- usage: take turns working; "the workers spell every four hours"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of spell (Dictionary)