Synonyms of split
- 1. split, acrobatic stunt, acrobatic feat
- usage: extending the legs at right angles to the trunk (one in front and the other in back)
- 2. split, bottle, bottleful
- usage: a bottle containing half the usual amount
- 3. split, share, portion, part, percentage
- usage: a promised or claimed share of loot or money; "he demanded his split before they disbanded"
- 4. split, crack, cleft, crevice, fissure, scissure
- usage: a lengthwise crack in wood; "he inserted the wedge into a split in the log"
- 5. rip, rent, snag, split, tear, opening, gap
- usage: an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart; "there was a rip in his pants"; "she had snags in her stockings"
- 6. Split
- usage: an old Croatian city on the Adriatic Sea
- 7. split, frozen dessert
- usage: a dessert of sliced fruit and ice cream covered with whipped cream and cherries and nuts
- 8. split, formation
- usage: (tenpin bowling) a divided formation of pins left standing after the first bowl; "he was winning until he got a split in the tenth frame"
- 9. split, stock split, split up, increase, step-up
- usage: an increase in the number of outstanding shares of a corporation without changing the shareholders' equity; "they announced a two-for-one split of the common stock"
- 10. rent, rip, split, tear
- usage: the act of rending or ripping or splitting something; "he gave the envelope a vigorous rip"
- 11. schism, split, division
- usage: division of a group into opposing factions; "another schism like that and they will wind up in bankruptcy"
- 1. divide, split, split up, separate, dissever, carve up, change integrity
- usage: separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
- 2. cleave, split, rive, tear
- usage: separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument; "cleave the bone"
- 3. separate, part, split up, split, break, break up
- usage: discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- 4. separate, part, split, move
- usage: go one's own way; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
- 5. burst, split, break open, break, separate, split up, fall apart, come apart
- usage: come open suddenly and violently, as if from internal pressure; "The bubble burst"
- 1. disconnected, disunited, fragmented, split, divided (vs. united)
- usage: having been divided; having the unity destroyed; "Congress...gave the impression of...a confusing sum of disconnected local forces"-Samuel Lubell; "a league of disunited nations"- E.B.White; "a fragmented coalition"; "a split group"
- 2. split, cut (vs. uncut)
- usage: (especially of wood) cut or ripped longitudinally with the grain; "we bought split logs for the fireplace"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of split (Dictionary)