Synonyms of stifled
- 1. smother, stifle, strangle, muffle, repress, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
- 2. stifle, dampen, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- 3. suffocate, stifle, asphyxiate, choke, obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up
- usage: impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of; "The foul air was slowly suffocating the children"
- 4. suffocate, stifle, asphyxiate, die, decease, perish, go, exit, pass away, expire, pass, kick the bucket, cash in one's chips, buy the farm, conk, give-up the ghost, drop dead, pop off, choke, croak, snuff it
- usage: be asphyxiated; die from lack of oxygen; "The child suffocated under the pillow"
- 1. smothered, stifled, strangled, suppressed, inhibited (vs. uninhibited)
- usage: held in check with difficulty; "a smothered cough"; "a stifled yawn"; "a strangled scream"; "suppressed laughter"
All rights reserved.