Synonyms of stopped
- 1. stop, halt
- usage: come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
- 2. discontinue, stop, cease, give up, quit, lay off
- usage: put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
- 3. stop, halt, block, kibosh, prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
- 4. stop, stop over, interrupt, disrupt, break up, cut off
- usage: interrupt a trip; "we stopped at Aunt Mary's house"; "they stopped for three days in Florence"
- 5. stop
- usage: cause to stop; "stop a car"; "stop the thief"
- 6. break, break off, discontinue, stop, end, terminate
- usage: prevent completion; "stop the project"; "break off the negotiations"
- 7. check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back, defend
- usage: hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- 8. intercept, stop, catch, grab, take hold of
- usage: seize on its way; "The fighter plane was ordered to intercept an aircraft that had entered the country's airspace"
- 9. end, stop, finish, terminate, cease
- usage: have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
- 10. barricade, block, blockade, stop, block off, block up, bar, obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up
- usage: render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "stop the busy road"
- 11. hold on, stop, interrupt, break
- usage: stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments; "Hold on a moment!"
- 1. stopped, stopped-up(prenominal), stopped up(predicate), obstructed (vs. unobstructed)
- usage: (of a nose) blocked; "a stopped (or stopped-up) nose"
All rights reserved.