Synonyms of suffering
- 1. agony, suffering, excruciation, pain, hurting
- usage: a state of acute pain
- 2. suffering, woe, misery, wretchedness, miserableness
- usage: misery resulting from affliction
- 3. distress, hurt, suffering, pain, painfulness
- usage: psychological suffering; "the death of his wife caused him great distress"
- 4. suffering, hurt, pain, painfulness
- usage: feelings of mental or physical pain
- 1. suffer, endure, experience, see, go through
- usage: undergo or be subjected to; "He suffered the penalty"; "Many saints suffered martyrdom"
- 2. suffer, sustain, have, get, experience, receive, have, get
- usage: undergo (as of injuries and illnesses); "She suffered a fracture in the accident"; "He had an insulin shock after eating three candy bars"; "She got a bruise on her leg"; "He got his arm broken in the scuffle"
- 3. suffer, feel, experience
- usage: experience (emotional) pain; "Every time her husband gets drunk, she suffers"
- 4. digest, endure, stick out, stomach, bear, stand, tolerate, support, brook, abide, suffer, put up, permit, allow, let, countenance
- usage: put up with something or somebody unpleasant; "I cannot bear his constant criticism"; "The new secretary had to endure a lot of unprofessional remarks"; "he learned to tolerate the heat"; "She stuck out two years in a miserable marriage"
- 5. suffer, worsen, decline
- usage: get worse; "His grades suffered"
- 6. suffer, hurt, be
- usage: feel pain or be in pain
- 7. hurt, ache, suffer, perceive, comprehend
- usage: feel physical pain; "Were you hurting after the accident?"
- 8. suffer, be
- usage: feel unwell or uncomfortable; "She is suffering from the hot weather"
- 9. suffer, tend, be given, lean, incline, run
- usage: be given to; "She suffers from a tendency to talk too much"
- 10. suffer, meet, experience, see, go through
- usage: undergo or suffer; "meet a violent death"; "suffer a terrible fate"
- 11. suffer, lose, worsen, decline
- usage: be set at a disadvantage; "This author really suffers in translation"
- 1. suffering, troubled (vs. untroubled)
- usage: troubled by pain or loss; "suffering refugees"
- 2. miserable, suffering, wretched, unhappy (vs. happy)
- usage: very unhappy; full of misery; "he felt depressed and miserable"; "a message of hope for suffering humanity"; "wretched prisoners huddled in stinking cages"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of suffering (Dictionary)