Synonyms of suffocate
- 1. smother, asphyxiate, suffocate, kill
- usage: deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing; "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"
- 2. suffocate, stifle, asphyxiate, choke, obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up
- usage: impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of; "The foul air was slowly suffocating the children"
- 3. suffocate, choke, become, turn
- usage: become stultified, suppressed, or stifled; "He is suffocating--living at home with his aged parents in the small village"
- 4. suffocate, choke, stifle, dampen
- usage: suppress the development, creativity, or imagination of; "His job suffocated him"
- 5. suffocate, stifle, asphyxiate, die, decease, perish, go, exit, pass away, expire, pass, kick the bucket, cash in one's chips, buy the farm, conk, give-up the ghost, drop dead, pop off, choke, croak, snuff it
- usage: be asphyxiated; die from lack of oxygen; "The child suffocated under the pillow"
- 6. suffocate, feel
- usage: feel uncomfortable for lack of fresh air; "The room was hot and stuffy and we were suffocating"
- 7. gag, choke, strangle, suffocate, suffer, hurt
- usage: struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake; "he swallowed a fishbone and gagged"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of suffocate (Dictionary)