WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sulfurous, sulphurous
- usage: of or related to or containing sulfur or derived from sulfur
- 2. acerb, acerbic, acid, acrid, bitter, blistering, caustic, sulfurous, sulphurous, virulent, vitriolic, unpleasant (vs. pleasant)
- usage: harsh or corrosive in tone; "an acerbic tone piercing otherwise flowery prose"; "a barrage of acid comments"; "her acrid remarks make her many enemies"; "bitter words"; "blistering criticism"; "caustic jokes about political assassination, talk-show hosts and medical ethics"; "a sulfurous denunciation"; "a vitriolic critique"
- 3. sultry, stifling, sulfurous, sulphurous, hot (vs. cold)
- usage: characterized by oppressive heat and humidity; "the summer was sultry and oppressive"; "the stifling atmosphere"; "the sulfurous atmosphere preceding a thunderstorm"
All rights reserved.
See also: sulfurous (Dictionary)