Synonyms of sully
- 1. Sully, Thomas Sully
- usage: United States painter (born in England) of portraits and historical scenes (1783-1872)
- 2. Sully, Duc de Sully, Maxmilien de Bethune
- usage: French statesman (1560-1641)
- 1. defile, sully, corrupt, taint, cloud, mar, impair, spoil, deflower, vitiate
- usage: place under suspicion or cast doubt upon; "sully someone's reputation"
- 2. tarnish, stain, maculate, sully, defile, spot, fleck, blob, blot
- usage: make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically; "The silver was tarnished by the long exposure to the air"; "Her reputation was sullied after the affair with a married man"
- 3. defame, slander, smirch, asperse, denigrate, calumniate, smear, sully, besmirch, charge, accuse
- usage: charge falsely or with malicious intent; attack the good name and reputation of someone; "The journalists have defamed me!" "The article in the paper sullied my reputation"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of sully (Dictionary)