- 1. sum, sum of money, amount, amount of money, assets
- usage: a quantity of money; "he borrowed a large sum"; "the amount he had in cash was insufficient"
- 2. sum, amount, total, quantity
- usage: a quantity obtained by the addition of a group of numbers
- 3. sum, summation, sum total, collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- usage: the final aggregate; "the sum of all our troubles did not equal the misery they suffered"
- 4. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- 5. sum, total, totality, aggregate, whole, unit
- usage: the whole amount
- 6. union, sum, join, set
- usage: a set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets; "let C be the union of the sets A and B"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. summarize, summarise, sum, sum up, state, say, tell
- usage: be a summary of; "The abstract summarizes the main ideas in the paper"
- 2. total, tot, tot up, sum, sum up, summate, tote up, add, add together, tally, add up, count, number, enumerate, numerate
- usage: determine the sum of; "Add all the people in this town to those of the neighboring town"
All rights reserved.
See also: sum (Dictionary)