WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. suppose, say, speculate
- usage: express a supposition; "Let us say that he did not tell the truth"; "Let's say you had a lot of money--what would you do?"
- 2. think, opine, suppose, imagine, reckon, guess, expect, anticipate
- usage: expect, believe, or suppose; "I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"; "I thought to find her in a bad state"; "he didn't think to find her in the kitchen"; "I guess she is angry at me for standing her up"
- 3. speculate, theorize, theorise, conjecture, hypothesize, hypothesise, hypothecate, suppose, expect, anticipate
- usage: to believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds; "Scientists supposed that large dinosaurs lived in swamps"
- 4. presuppose, suppose, assume, presume, take for granted
- usage: take for granted or as a given; suppose beforehand; "I presuppose that you have done your work"
- 5. presuppose, suppose, imply
- usage: require as a necessary antecedent or precondition; "This step presupposes two prior ones"
All rights reserved.
See also: suppose (Dictionary)