WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: to put down by force or authority; "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires"
- 2. oppress, suppress, crush
- usage: come down on or keep down by unjust use of one's authority; "The government oppresses political activists"
- 3. inhibit, bottle up, suppress, suppress, repress
- usage: control and refrain from showing; of emotions, desires, impulses, or behavior
- 4. suppress, repress, forget, bury
- usage: put out of one's consciousness
- 5. suppress, decrease, lessen, minify
- usage: reduce the incidence or severity of or stop; "suppress a yawn"; "this drug can suppress the hemorrhage"
All rights reserved.
See also: suppress (Dictionary)