- 1. surround, environ, ring, skirt, border, touch, adjoin, meet, contact
- usage: extend on all sides of simultaneously; encircle; "The forest surrounds my property"
- 2. smother, surround, cover
- usage: envelop completely; "smother the meat in gravy"
- 3. besiege, beleaguer, surround, hem in, circumvent, attack, assail
- usage: surround so as to force to give up; "The Turks besieged Vienna"
- 4. wall, palisade, fence, fence in, surround, protect
- usage: surround with a wall in order to fortify
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. encompassing(prenominal), surrounding(prenominal), circumferent, close (vs. distant)
- usage: closely encircling; "encompassing mountain ranges"; "the surrounding countryside"
All rights reserved.
See also: surrounding (Dictionary)