Synonyms of sustained
- 1. prolong, sustain, keep up, continue, uphold, carry on, bear on, preserve
- usage: lengthen or extend in duration or space; "We sustained the diplomatic negotiations as long as possible"; "prolong the treatment of the patient"; "keep up the good work"
- 2. suffer, sustain, have, get, experience, receive, have, get
- usage: undergo (as of injuries and illnesses); "She suffered a fracture in the accident"; "He had an insulin shock after eating three candy bars"; "She got a bruise on her leg"; "He got his arm broken in the scuffle"
- 3. nourish, nurture, sustain, provide, supply, ply, cater
- usage: provide with nourishment; "We sustained ourselves on bread and water"; "This kind of food is not nourishing for young children"
- 4. sustain, keep, maintain, have, have got, hold
- usage: supply with necessities and support; "She alone sustained her family"; "The money will sustain our good cause"; "There's little to earn and many to keep"
- 5. hold, support, sustain, hold up
- usage: be the physical support of; carry the weight of; "The beam holds up the roof"; "He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"; "What's holding that mirror?"
- 6. sustain, admit, acknowledge
- usage: admit as valid; "The court sustained the motion"
- 7. confirm, corroborate, sustain, substantiate, support, affirm
- usage: establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts; "his story confirmed my doubts"; "The evidence supports the defendant"
- 1. sustained, continuous (vs. discontinuous), uninterrupted
- usage: maintained at length without interruption or weakening; "sustained flight"
- 2. free burning, sustained, continuous (vs. discontinuous), uninterrupted
- usage: (of an electric arc) continuous; "heat transfer to the anode in free burning arcs"
All rights reserved.