WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sympathetic
- usage: of or relating to the sympathetic nervous system; "sympathetic neurons"; "sympathetic stimulation"
- 2. sympathetic (vs. unsympathetic), commiserative, condolent, empathic, empathetic, compassionate, congenial, kind
- usage: expressing or feeling or resulting from sympathy or compassion or friendly fellow feelings; disposed toward; "sympathetic to the students' cause"; "a sympathetic observer"; "a sympathetic gesture"
- 3. charitable, benevolent, kindly, sympathetic, good-hearted, openhearted, large-hearted, kind (vs. unkind)
- usage: showing or motivated by sympathy and understanding and generosity; "was charitable in his opinions of others"; "kindly criticism"; "a kindly act"; "sympathetic words"; "a large-hearted mentor"
- 4. sympathetic (vs. unsympathetic), appealing, likeable, likable
- usage: (of characters in literature or drama) evoking empathic or sympathetic feelings; "the sympathetic characters in the play"
- 5. sympathetic, similar (vs. dissimilar)
- usage: having similar disposition and tastes; "with their many similar tastes, he found her a most sympathetic companion"
- 6. harmonic, sympathetic, harmonious (vs. inharmonious)
- usage: relating to vibrations that occur as a result of vibrations in a nearby body; "sympathetic vibration"
All rights reserved.
See also: sympathetic (Dictionary)