WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Taoism, sect, religious sect, religious order
- usage: a Chinese sect claiming to follow the teaching of Lao-tzu but incorporating pantheism and sorcery in addition to Taoism
- 2. Taoism, religion, faith, organized religion
- usage: religion adhering to the teaching of Lao-tzu
- 3. Taoism, Hsuan Chiao, religion, faith, religious belief
- usage: popular Chinese philosophical system based in teachings of Lao-tzu but characterized by a pantheism of many gods and the practices of alchemy and divination and magic
- 4. Taoism, Daoism, philosophical doctrine, philosophical theory
- usage: philosophical system developed by Lao-tzu and Chuang-tzu advocating a simple honest life and noninterference with the course of natural events
All rights reserved.
See also: taoism (Dictionary)