Synonyms of telling
- 1. relation, telling, recounting, narration, recital, yarn
- usage: an act of narration; "he was the hero according to his own relation"; "his endless recounting of the incident eventually became unbearable"
- 2. telling, apprisal, notification, informing, making known
- usage: informing by words
- 3. tattle, singing, telling, disclosure, revelation, revealing
- usage: disclosing information or giving evidence about another
- 1. state, say, tell, express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to
- usage: express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- 2. tell, inform
- usage: let something be known; "Tell them that you will be late"
- 3. tell, narrate, recount, recite, inform
- usage: narrate or give a detailed account of; "Tell what happened"; "The father told a story to his child"
- 4. order, tell, enjoin, say, request
- usage: give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority; "I said to him to go home"; "She ordered him to do the shopping"; "The mother told the child to get dressed"
- 5. tell, guess, infer
- usage: discern or comprehend; "He could tell that she was unhappy"
- 6. assure, tell, affirm, verify, assert, avow, aver, swan, swear
- usage: inform positively and with certainty and confidence; "I tell you that man is a crook!"
- 7. tell, evidence, inform
- usage: give evidence; "he was telling on all his former colleague"
- 8. distinguish, separate, differentiate, secern, secernate, severalize, severalise, tell, tell apart, identify, place
- usage: mark as different; "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
- 1. revealing, telling, telltale(prenominal), informative (vs. uninformative), informatory
- usage: disclosing unintentionally; "a telling smile"; "a telltale panel of lights"; "a telltale patch of oil on the water marked where the boat went down"
- 2. cogent, telling, weighty, persuasive (vs. dissuasive)
- usage: powerfully persuasive; "a cogent argument"; "a telling presentation"; "a weighty argument"
- 3. impressive, telling, effective (vs. ineffective), effectual, efficacious
- usage: producing a strong effect; "gave an impressive performance as Othello"; "a telling gesture"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of telling (Dictionary)