Synonyms of tempering
- 1. annealing, tempering, hardening
- usage: hardening something by heat treatment
- 1. anneal, temper, normalize, harden, indurate
- usage: bring to a desired consistency, texture, or hardness by a process of gradually heating and cooling; "temper glass"
- 2. temper, harden, modify
- usage: harden by reheating and cooling in oil; "temper steel"
- 3. temper, adjust, set, correct
- usage: adjust the pitch (of pianos)
- 4. temper, season, mollify, weaken
- usage: make more temperate, acceptable, or suitable by adding something else; moderate; "she tempered her criticism"
- 5. chasten, moderate, temper, change, alter, modify
- usage: restrain
- 1. tempering, moderating (vs. intensifying)
- usage: moderating by making more temperate
All rights reserved.