WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. tension, tenseness, stress, strain, mental strain, nervous strain
- usage: (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense; "he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension"; "stress is a vasoconstrictor"
- 2. tension, tensity, tenseness, tautness, condition, status
- usage: the physical condition of being stretched or strained; "it places great tension on the leg muscles"; "he could feel the tenseness of her body"
- 3. tension, balance
- usage: a balance between and interplay of opposing elements or tendencies (especially in art or literature); "there is a tension created between narrative time and movie time"; "there is a tension between these approaches to understanding history"
- 4. tension, stress
- usage: (physics) a stress that produces an elongation of an elastic physical body; "the direction of maximum tension moves asymptotically toward the direction of the shear"
- 5. latent hostility, tension, hostility, enmity, antagonism
- usage: feelings of hostility that are not manifest; "he could sense her latent hostility to him"; "the diplomats' first concern was to reduce international tensions"
- 6. tension, stretching
- usage: the action of stretching something tight; "tension holds the belt in the pulleys"
All rights reserved.
See also: tension (Dictionary)