- 1. subject, topic, theme, message, content, subject matter, substance
- usage: the subject matter of a conversation or discussion; "he didn't want to discuss that subject"; "it was a very sensitive topic"; "his letters were always on the theme of love"
- 2. theme, motif, idea, thought
- usage: a unifying idea that is a recurrent element in literary or artistic work; "it was the usual `boy gets girl' theme"
- 3. theme, melodic theme, musical theme, idea, tune, melody, air, strain, melodic line, line, melodic phrase
- usage: (music) melodic subject of a musical composition; "the theme is announced in the first measures"; "the accompanist picked up the idea and elaborated it"
- 4. composition, paper, report, theme, essay
- usage: an essay (especially one written as an assignment); "he got an A on his composition"
- 5. root, root word, base, stem, theme, radical, form, word form, signifier, descriptor
- usage: (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed; "thematic vowels are part of the stem"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. theme, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: provide with a particular theme or motive; "the restaurant often themes its menus"
All rights reserved.
See also: theme (Dictionary)