Synonyms of time
- 1. time, clip, case, instance, example
- usage: an instance or single occasion for some event; "this time he succeeded"; "he called four times"; "he could do ten at a clip"
- 2. time, time period, period of time, period
- usage: a period of time considered as a resource under your control and sufficient to accomplish something; "take time to smell the roses"; "I didn't have time to finish"; "it took more than half my time"
- 3. time, time period, period of time, period
- usage: an indefinite period (usually marked by specific attributes or activities); "he waited a long time"; "the time of year for planting"; "he was a great actor in his time"
- 4. time, moment, minute, second, instant
- usage: a suitable moment; "it is time to go"
- 5. time, attribute
- usage: the continuum of experience in which events pass from the future through the present to the past
- 6. time, experience
- usage: a person's experience on a particular occasion; "he had a time holding back the tears"; "they had a good time together"
- 7. clock time, time, reading, meter reading, indication
- usage: a reading of a point in time as given by a clock; "do you know what time it is?"; "the time is 10 o'clock"
- 8. fourth dimension, time, dimension
- usage: the fourth coordinate that is required (along with three spatial dimensions) to specify a physical event
- 9. meter, metre, time, rhythmicity
- usage: rhythm as given by division into parts of equal duration
- 10. prison term, sentence, time, term
- usage: the period of time a prisoner is imprisoned; "he served a prison term of 15 months"; "his sentence was 5 to 10 years"; "he is doing time in the county jail"
- 1. clock, time, quantify, measure
- usage: measure the time or duration of an event or action or the person who performs an action in a certain period of time; "he clocked the runners"
- 2. time, schedule
- usage: assign a time for an activity or event; "The candidate carefully timed his appearance at the disaster scene"
- 3. time, determine, shape, mold, influence, regulate
- usage: set the speed, duration, or execution of; "we time the process to manufacture our cars very precisely"
- 4. time, adjust, set, correct
- usage: regulate or set the time of; "time the clock"
- 5. time, adjust, set, correct
- usage: adjust so that a force is applied and an action occurs at the desired time; "The good player times his swing so as to hit the ball squarely"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of time (Dictionary)