- 1. tonic, tonic water, quinine water, soft drink
- usage: lime- or lemon-flavored carbonated water containing quinine
- 2. pop, soda, soda pop, soda water, tonic, soft drink
- usage: a sweet drink containing carbonated water and flavoring; "in New England they call sodas tonics"
- 3. tonic, keynote, note, musical note, tone
- usage: (music) the first note of a diatonic scale
- 4. tonic, restorative, medicine, medication, medicament, medicinal drug
- usage: a medicine that strengthens and invigorates
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. tonic
- usage: of or relating to or producing normal tone or tonus in muscles or tissue; "a tonic reflex"; "tonic muscle contraction"
- 2. tonic, tonal
- usage: employing variations in pitch to distinguish meanings of otherwise similar words; "Chinese is a tonal language"
- 3. tonic (vs. atonic), accented
- usage: used of syllables; "a tonic syllables carries the main stress in a word"
- 4. tonic, tonal (vs. atonal)
- usage: relating to or being the keynote of a major or minor scale; "tonic harmony"
- 5. bracing, brisk, fresh, refreshing, refreshful, tonic, invigorating (vs. debilitating)
- usage: imparting vitality and energy; "the bracing mountain air"
All rights reserved.
See also: tonic (Dictionary)