Synonyms of trap
- 1. trap, device
- usage: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned
- 2. trap, drain, drainpipe, waste pipe
- usage: drain consisting of a U-shaped section of drainpipe that holds liquid and so prevents a return flow of sewer gas
- 3. trap, snare, design, plan
- usage: something (often something deceptively attractive) that catches you unawares; "the exam was full of trap questions"; "it was all a snare and delusion"
- 4. trap, mechanical device
- usage: a device to hurl clay pigeons into the air for trapshooters
- 5. ambush, ambuscade, lying in wait, trap, surprise attack, coup de main
- usage: the act of concealing yourself and lying in wait to attack by surprise
- 6. trap, cakehole, hole, maw, yap, gob, mouth, oral cavity, oral fissure, rima oris
- usage: informal terms for the mouth
- 7. trap, carriage, equipage, rig
- usage: a light two-wheeled carriage
- 8. bunker, sand trap, trap, hazard
- usage: a hazard on a golf course
- 1. trap, pin down, confine, detain
- usage: place in a confining or embarrassing position; "He was trapped in a difficult situation"
- 2. trap, entrap, snare, ensnare, trammel, capture, catch
- usage: catch in or as if in a trap; "The men trap foxes"
- 3. trap, hold, take hold
- usage: hold or catch as if in a trap; "The gaps between the teeth trap food particles"
- 4. trap, pin, immobilize, immobilise
- usage: to hold fast or prevent from moving; "The child was pinned under the fallen tree"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of trap (Dictionary)