Synonyms of tug
- 1. tug, jerk, pull, pulling
- usage: a sudden abrupt pull
- 2. tugboat, tug, towboat, tower, boat
- usage: a powerful small boat designed to pull or push larger ships
- 1. tug, attract, pull, pull in, draw, draw in
- usage: pull hard; "The prisoner tugged at the chains"; "This movie tugs at the heart strings"
- 2. tug, labor, labour, push, drive, fight, struggle
- usage: strive and make an effort to reach a goal; "She tugged for years to make a decent living"; "We have to push a little to make the deadline!"; "She is driving away at her doctoral thesis"
- 3. tug, tow
- usage: tow (a vessel) with a tug; "The tugboat tugged the freighter into the harbor"
- 4. lug, tote, tug, transport, carry
- usage: carry with difficulty; "You'll have to lug this suitcase"
- 5. tug, move, displace
- usage: move by pulling hard; "The horse finally tugged the cart out of the mud"
- 6. tug, pull, draw, force
- usage: pull or strain hard at; "Each oar was tugged by several men"
- 7. tug, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: struggle in opposition; "She tugged and wrestled with her conflicts"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of tug (Dictionary)