WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. turkey, Meleagris gallopavo, domestic fowl, fowl, poultry
- usage: large gallinaceous bird with fan-shaped tail; widely domesticated for food
- 2. Turkey, Republic of Turkey
- usage: a Eurasian republic in Asia Minor and the Balkans; on the collapse of the Ottoman Empire in 1918, the Young Turks, led by Kemal Ataturk, established a republic in 1923
- 3. joker, turkey, unpleasant person, disagreeable person
- usage: a person who does something thoughtless or annoying; "some joker is blocking the driveway"
- 4. turkey, poultry
- usage: flesh of large domesticated fowl usually roasted
- 5. turkey, bomb, dud, flop, bust, fizzle
- usage: an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual; "the first experiment was a real turkey"; "the meeting was a dud as far as new business was concerned"
All rights reserved.
See also: turkey (Dictionary)