Synonyms of twisting
- 1. distortion, overrefinement, straining, torture, twisting, falsification, misrepresentation
- usage: the act of distorting something so it seems to mean something it was not intended to mean
- 2. spin, twirl, twist, twisting, whirl, rotation, rotary motion
- usage: the act of rotating rapidly; "he gave the crank a spin"; "it broke off after much twisting"
- 1. writhe, wrestle, wriggle, worm, squirm, twist, move
- usage: to move in a twisting or contorted motion, (especially when struggling); "The prisoner writhed in discomfort"; "The child tried to wriggle free from his aunt's embrace"
- 2. flex, bend, deform, twist, turn, change shape, change form, deform
- usage: cause (a plastic object) to assume a crooked or angular form; "bend the rod"; "twist the dough into a braid"; "the strong man could turn an iron bar"
- 3. twist, turn
- usage: turn in the opposite direction; "twist one's head"
- 4. twist, twine, distort, change shape, change form, deform
- usage: form into a spiral shape; "The cord is all twisted"
- 5. twist, shape, form
- usage: form into twists; "Twist the strips of dough"
- 6. wind, twist, curve, be
- usage: extend in curves and turns; "The road winds around the lake"; "the path twisted through the forest"
- 7. twist, dance, trip the light fantastic, trip the light fantastic toe
- usage: do the twist
- 8. wrench, twist, pull
- usage: twist or pull violently or suddenly, especially so as to remove (something) from that to which it is attached or from where it originates; "wrench a window off its hinges"; "wrench oneself free from somebody's grip"; "a deep sigh was wrenched from his chest"
- 9. twist, twist around, pervert, convolute, sophisticate, denote, refer
- usage: practice sophistry; change the meaning of or be vague about in order to mislead or deceive; "Don't twist my words"
- 10. twist, sprain, wrench, turn, wrick, rick, injure, wound
- usage: twist suddenly so as to sprain; "wrench one's ankle"; "The wrestler twisted his shoulder"; "the hikers sprained their ankles when they fell"; "I turned my ankle and couldn't walk for several days"
- 1. tortuous, twisting, twisty, winding, voluminous, crooked (vs. straight)
- usage: marked by repeated turns and bends; "a tortuous road up the mountain"; "winding roads are full of surprises"; "had to steer the car down a twisty track"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of twisting (Dictionary)