WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. turbulence, upheaval, Sturm und Drang, disorder
- usage: a state of violent disturbance and disorder (as in politics or social conditions generally); "the industrial revolution was a period of great turbulence"
- 2. convulsion, turmoil, upheaval, disturbance, disruption, commotion, flutter, hurly burly, to-do, hoo-ha, hoo-hah, kerfuffle
- usage: a violent disturbance; "the convulsions of the stock market"
- 3. upheaval, uplift, upthrow, upthrust, rise, rising, ascent, ascension
- usage: (geology) a rise of land to a higher elevation (as in the process of mountain building)
- 4. agitation, excitement, turmoil, upheaval, hullabaloo, disturbance
- usage: disturbance usually in protest
All rights reserved.
See also: upheaval (Dictionary)