WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. valve, structure, anatomical structure, complex body part, bodily structure, body structure
- usage: a structure in a hollow organ (like the heart) with a flap to insure one-way flow of fluid through it
- 2. valve, device
- usage: device in a brass wind instrument for varying the length of the air column to alter the pitch of a tone
- 3. valve, control, controller
- usage: control consisting of a mechanical device for controlling the flow of a fluid
- 4. valve, shell
- usage: the entire one-piece shell of a snail and certain other molluscs
- 5. valve, shell
- usage: one of the paired hinged shells of certain molluscs and of brachiopods
All rights reserved.
See also: valve (Dictionary)