WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. discrepancy, variance, variant, deviation, divergence, departure, difference
- usage: an event that departs from expectations
- 2. division, variance, discord, dissension
- usage: discord that splits a group
- 3. variance, moment
- usage: the second moment around the mean; the expected value of the square of the deviations of a random variable from its mean value
- 4. discrepancy, disagreement, divergence, variance, difference
- usage: a difference between conflicting facts or claims or opinions; "a growing divergence of opinion"
- 5. variability, variableness, variance, changeableness, changeability
- usage: the quality of being subject to variation
- 6. variance, dispensation
- usage: an official dispensation to act contrary to a rule or regulation (typically a building regulation); "a zoning variance"
- 7. variation, variance, activity
- usage: an activity that varies from a norm or standard; "any variation in his routine was immediately reported"
All rights reserved.
See also: variance (Dictionary)