- 1. discrepancy, variance, variant, deviation, divergence, departure, difference
- usage: an event that departs from expectations
- 2. form, variant, strain, var., taxonomic group, taxonomic category, taxon
- usage: (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups; "a new strain of microorganisms"
- 3. random variable, variate, variant, stochastic variable, chance variable, variable, variable quantity
- usage: a variable quantity that is random
- 4. version, variant, variation, edition, type
- usage: something a little different from others of the same type; "an experimental version of the night fighter"; "a variant of the same word"; "an emery wheel is the modern variation of a grindstone"; "the boy is a younger edition of his father"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. variant, different (vs. same)
- usage: differing from a norm or standard; "a variant spelling"
- 2. variant, variable (vs. invariable)
- usage: exhibiting variation and change; "letters variant in size"
All rights reserved.
See also: variant (Dictionary)