Synonyms of violent
- 1. violent (vs. nonviolent), convulsive, ferocious, fierce, furious, savage, hot, raging, knockdown-dragout, knock-down-and-drag-out, lashing, lurid, rampageous, ruffianly, tough, slam-bang, hostile, unpeaceful
- usage: acting with or marked by or resulting from great force or energy or emotional intensity; "a violent attack"; "a violent person"; "violent feelings"; "a violent rage"; "felt a violent dislike"
- 2. violent, unnatural (vs. natural)
- usage: effected by force or injury rather than natural causes; "a violent death"
- 3. violent, wild, intense (vs. mild)
- usage: (of colors or sounds) intensely vivid or loud; "a violent clash of colors"; "her dress was a violent red"; "a violent noise"; "wild colors"; "wild shouts"
- 4. fierce, tearing, vehement, violent, trigger-happy, intense (vs. mild)
- usage: marked by extreme intensity of emotions or convictions; inclined to react violently; fervid; "fierce loyalty"; "in a tearing rage"; "vehement dislike"; "violent passions"
- 5. crimson, red, violent, bloody (vs. bloodless)
- usage: characterized by violence or bloodshed; "writes of crimson deeds and barbaric days"- Andrea Parke; "fann'd by Conquest's crimson wing"- Thomas Gray; "convulsed with red rage"- Hudson Strode
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of violent (Dictionary)