- 1. delay, hold, time lag, postponement, wait, pause, intermission, break, interruption, suspension
- usage: time during which some action is awaited; "instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action"
- 2. wait, waiting, inactivity
- usage: the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something); "the wait was an ordeal for him"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. wait
- usage: stay in one place and anticipate or expect something; "I had to wait on line for an hour to get the tickets"
- 2. wait, hold off, hold back, act, move
- usage: wait before acting; "the scientists held off announcing their results until they repeated the experiment"
- 3. expect, look, await, wait
- usage: look forward to the probable occurrence of; "We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
- 4. wait, waitress, work
- usage: serve as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant; "I'm waiting on tables at Maxim's"
All rights reserved.
See also: wait (Dictionary)