- 1. privation, want, deprivation, neediness, poverty, poorness, impoverishment
- usage: a state of extreme poverty
- 2. lack, deficiency, want, need, demand
- usage: the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable; "there is a serious lack of insight into the problem"; "water is the critical deficiency in desert regions"; "for want of a nail the shoe was lost"
- 3. need, want, necessity, essential, requirement, requisite, necessary
- usage: anything that is necessary but lacking; "he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs"; "I tried to supply his wants"
- 4. wish, wishing, want, desire
- usage: a specific feeling of desire; "he got his wish"; "he was above all wishing and desire"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. desire, want
- usage: feel or have a desire for; want strongly; "I want to go home now"; "I want my own room"
- 2. want, need, require, be
- usage: have need of; "This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner"
- 3. want, search, seek, look for
- usage: hunt or look for; want for a particular reason; "Your former neighbor is wanted by the FBI"; "Uncle Sam wants you"
- 4. want, demand
- usage: wish or demand the presence of; "I want you here at noon!"
- 5. want, miss, lack
- usage: be without, lack; be deficient in; "want courtesy"; "want the strength to go on living"; "flood victims wanting food and shelter"
All rights reserved.
See also: want (Dictionary)