Synonyms of warning
- 1. warning, informing, making known
- usage: a message informing of danger; "a warning that still more bombs could explode"
- 2. admonition, monition, warning, word of advice, advice
- usage: cautionary advice about something imminent (especially imminent danger or other unpleasantness); "a letter of admonition about the dangers of immorality"; "the warning was to beware of surprises"; "his final word of advice was not to play with matches"
- 3. warning, telling, apprisal, notification
- usage: notification of something, usually in advance; "they gave little warning of their arrival"; "she had only had four days' warning before leaving Berlin"
- 1. warn, inform
- usage: notify of danger, potential harm, or risk; "The director warned him that he might be fired"; "The doctor warned me about the dangers of smoking"
- 2. warn, discourage, admonish, monish, rede, advise, counsel
- usage: admonish or counsel in terms of someone's behavior; "I warned him not to go too far"; "I warn you against false assumptions"; "She warned him to be quiet"
- 3. warn, order, tell, enjoin, say
- usage: ask to go away; "The old man warned the children off his property"
- 4. warn, inform
- usage: notify, usually in advance; "I warned you that I would ask some difficult questions"
- 1. admonitory, cautionary, exemplary, monitory, warning(prenominal), dissuasive (vs. persuasive)
- usage: serving to warn; "shook a monitory finger at him"; "an exemplary jail sentence"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of warning (Dictionary)