- 1. manner, mode, style, way, fashion, property
- usage: how something is done or how it happens; "her dignified manner"; "his rapid manner of talking"; "their nomadic mode of existence"; "in the characteristic New York style"; "a lonely way of life"; "in an abrasive fashion"
- 2. means, agency, way, implementation, effectuation
- usage: how a result is obtained or an end is achieved; "a means of control"; "an example is the best agency of instruction"; "the true way to success"
- 3. direction, way, path, route, itinerary
- usage: a line leading to a place or point; "he looked the other direction"; "didn't know the way home"
- 4. way, condition, status
- usage: the condition of things generally; "that's the way it is"; "I felt the same way"
- 5. way, path, way of life, course, course of action
- usage: a course of conduct; "the path of virtue"; "we went our separate ways"; "our paths in life led us apart"; "genius usually follows a revolutionary path"
- 6. way, artifact, artefact
- usage: any artifact consisting of a road or path affording passage from one place to another; "he said he was looking for the way out"
- 7. way, journey, journeying
- usage: a journey or passage; "they are on the way"
- 8. room, way, elbow room, position, spatial relation
- usage: space for movement; "room to pass"; "make way for"; "hardly enough elbow room to turn around"
- 9. way, distance
- usage: the property of distance in general; "it's a long way to Moscow"; "he went a long ways"
- 10. way, choice, pick, selection
- usage: doing as one pleases or chooses; "if I had my way"
- 11. way, category
- usage: a general category of things; used in the expression `in the way of'; "they didn't have much in the way of clothing"
- 12. way, share, portion, part, percentage
- usage: a portion of something divided into shares; "they split the loot three ways"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. way, right smart
- usage: to a great degree or by a great distance; very much (`right smart' is regional in the United States); "way over budget"; "way off base"; "the other side of the hill is right smart steeper than the side we are on"
All rights reserved.
See also: way (Dictionary)