- 1. win, victory, triumph
- usage: a victory (as in a race or other competition); "he was happy to get the win"
- 2. winnings, win, profits, financial gain
- usage: something won (especially money)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. win
- usage: be the winner in a contest or competition; be victorious; "He won the Gold Medal in skating"; "Our home team won"; "Win the game"
- 2. acquire, win, gain, get, acquire
- usage: win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese"; "Gain an understanding of international finance"
- 3. gain, advance, win, pull ahead, make headway, get ahead, gain ground
- usage: obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
- 4. succeed, win, come through, bring home the bacon, deliver the goods
- usage: attain success or reach a desired goal; "The enterprise succeeded"; "We succeeded in getting tickets to the show"; "she struggled to overcome her handicap and won"
All rights reserved.
See also: win (Dictionary)