Synonyms of winding
- 1. wind, winding, twist, rotation, rotary motion
- usage: the act of winding or twisting; "he put the key in the old clock and gave it a good wind"
- 1. weave, wind, thread, meander, wander, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: to move or cause to move in a sinuous, spiral, or circular course; "the river winds through the hills"; "the path meanders through the vineyards"; "sometimes, the gout wanders through the entire body"
- 2. wind, twist, curve, be
- usage: extend in curves and turns; "The road winds around the lake"; "the path twisted through the forest"
- 3. wind, wrap, roll, twine, move, displace
- usage: arrange or or coil around; "roll your hair around your finger"; "Twine the thread around the spool"; "She wrapped her arms around the child"
- 4. scent, nose, wind, smell
- usage: catch the scent of; get wind of; "The dog nosed out the drugs"
- 5. wind, wind up, tighten, fasten
- usage: coil the spring of (some mechanical device) by turning a stem; "wind your watch"
- 6. wreathe, wind, intertwine, twine, entwine, enlace, interlace, lace
- usage: form into a wreath
- 7. hoist, lift, wind, raise, lift, elevate, get up, bring up
- usage: raise or haul up with or as if with mechanical help; "hoist the bicycle onto the roof of the car"
- 1. tortuous, twisting, twisty, winding, voluminous, crooked (vs. straight)
- usage: marked by repeated turns and bends; "a tortuous road up the mountain"; "winding roads are full of surprises"; "had to steer the car down a twisty track"
- 2. meandering(prenominal), rambling, wandering(prenominal), winding, indirect (vs. direct)
- usage: of a path e.g.; "meandering streams"; "rambling forest paths"; "the river followed its wandering course"; "a winding country road"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of winding (Dictionary)