Synonyms of yawning
- 1. yawn, yawning, oscitance, oscitancy, reflex, reflex response, reflex action, instinctive reflex, innate reflex, inborn reflex, unconditioned reflex, physiological reaction
- usage: an involuntary intake of breath through a wide open mouth; usually triggered by fatigue or boredom; "he could not suppress a yawn"; "the yawning in the audience told him it was time to stop"; "he apologized for his oscitancy"
- 1. yawn, breathe, take a breath, respire, suspire
- usage: utter a yawn, as from lack of oxygen or when one is tired; "The child yawned during the long performance"
- 2. gape, yawn, yaw, be
- usage: be wide open; "the deep gaping canyon"
- 1. yawning, open (vs. closed)
- usage: gaping open as if threatening to engulf someone or something; "the yawning mine shaft"; "a yawning abyss"
- 2. yawning, open (vs. closed), opened
- usage: with the mouth wide open indicating boredom or sleepiness; "a yawning congregation"
- 3. drowsy, oscitant, yawning(prenominal), inattentive (vs. attentive)
- usage: showing lack of attention or boredom; "the yawning congregation"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of yawning (Dictionary)