Top News Stories from 1940
Population: 4.378 billionpopulation by decadeMore World Statistics...
- Winston Churchill becomes Britain's Prime Minister.
- Trotsky is assassinated in Mexico.
- Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania annexed by U.S.S.R.
- Hitler invades Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Luxembourg.
- Lascaux caves with Cro-Magnon art discovered by French schoolboy.
President: Franklin D Roosevelt
Vice President: John N. Garner
Population: 132,122,446More U.S. Statistics...
- Selective Service Act signed. Background: conscription
- The first Social Security benefit checks are paid out (Jan 30).
- The Pennsylvania Turnpike opens. It is the first multilane U.S. superhighway. The first Los Angeles freeway opens.
- The first McDonald's hamburger stand opens in Pasadena, Calif.
Federal spending: $9.47 billion
Federal debt $50.7 billion
Consumer Price Index: $14
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03
World SeriesCincinnati d. Detroit (4-3)
Stanley CupNY Rangers d. Toronto
Kentucky Derby ChampionGallahadion
NCAA Basketball ChampionshipIndiana d. Kansas
NCAA Football ChampionsMinnesota (8-0-0)
- CBS demonstrates color television in New York.
- WNBT, the first regularly operating television station, debuts in New York with an estimated 10,000 viewers.
- It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman! The radio show debuts.
- The first Bugs Bunny cartoon.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: None awardedMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...
- Freeze drying is adapted for food preservation.
- Plasma is discovered to be a substitute for whole blood in transfusions.
- Karl Landsteiner and Alexander Weiner discover the Rh factor in blood.
or enter a year: